Parish Nursing is an area of specialized professional nursing practice. Parish Nurses work in Churches across Canada and internationally. Read on to see how All Saints’ Kingsway is implementing this vital ministry.
What is Parish Nursing?
The mission of Parish Nursing is the intentional integration of the practice of faith with the practice of Nursing so that people can achieve wholeness in with, and through a community of faith in which Parish Nurses serve. Parish Nursing encompasses the physical, psychological and social dimensions of nursing practice and the integration of body, mind and spirit. The Parish Nurse in collaboration with clergy and congregational members participates in the ongoing transformation of the faith community into a place of health and healing. Through partnerships with other community health resources, parish nursing fosters new and creative responses to health concerns.
The Parish Nurse:
- Is a Registered Nurse, with a baccalaureate degree in Nursing preferred, who practices wholistic health for self, individuals and the community using his/her knowledge and professionalism, all the while centered in the spiritual dimension of caring
- Integrates knowledge of the medical world and personal practices of a faith tradition.
- Must practice according to the Standards of Practice and Core Competencies of the College of Nurses of Ontario and the Canadian Association of Parish Nursing Ministry.
- Is a member of the ministry team and regularly collaborates with the Parish Nurse Team in planning and providing activities and programs.
What Does a Parish Nurse Do?
As followers of Jesus Christ, we are called to heal the broken-hearted, to bring comfort to the sick and to promote wellness and preventative care for each person we serve.
The Parish Nurse with the support of the Parish Nurse Team, provides
- Health Promotion and Education– through existing and new programs, the Parish Nurse helps to raise awareness of the church community to promote wellness and prevention. The Parish Nurse offers monthly Blood Pressure clinics after church. The Parish Nurse is a resource for information on community services and agencies.
- Health Counselling – individual consultation through office, home, hospital, Out of The Cold or community visits to discuss health concerns and to provide support in times of crisis or bereavement.
- Advocacy – provide help to people in navigating the health care system and with obtaining health care that is needed.
- Facilitation and Coordination of Volunteers – Caring in Crisis program, Prayer Shawl Ministry, Pastoral Lay Visitors, Out of the Cold Health Ministry.
Who is the Parish Nurse at All Saints’ Kingsway?
Rev. Jennifer Cameron is the Deacon Associate and Parish Nurse at All Saints’ Kingsway. Jennifer is a Registered Nurse with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from the University of Toronto and a Certificate in Christian Studies (Parish Nursing) from McMaster Divinity College.
If you would like to contact Jennifer to discuss your health concerns or ask about the Parish Nursing Program, call 416-233-1125 #6 or email [email protected]